Veggie Rainbow Recipe
Food at different places and in different packaging gives us unique perspective, doesn’t it? I don’t think ever appreciated peanuts as much before.
To say the least, the airlines food made me appreciate the cooked food.
I need my veggies, and missed them today. I feel like going back to my kitchen now, and enjoy the recipe I enjoy the most when I return from a business or vacation trip.
Here it is.
Enjoy the simplicity of very simple cooking recipe. Stroke your taste buds with this novel taste. See its nutrition benefits. And then tell me what you think.
Servings : 4
Preparation Time : 30 Min.
Cooking Time : 30 Min.
Difficulty Level : Easy
- Five table spoons of oil. Peanut oil goes the best with this. But, olive oil or canola oil will work just fine as well.
- My spices – One fourth tea spoon of mustard seeds, pinch of turmeric, pinch or crushed red pepper, one table spoon of salt, small piece of ginger, slice of lemon.
- My veggies – One cauliflower, a couple of small size tomatoes, one regular size green bell pepper, one regular size red pepper and/or a yellow bell pepper, bowl of frozen peas.
- Cut your veggies in small pieces. Thaw the peas by putting them in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes.
- Warm up the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it, and let them simmer a little bit.
- Add all the veggies. Make sure to drain the peas before you add them in there.
- Add your spices – salt, crushed red pepper and turmeric.
- Cover the pan, and let it cook for about 20 minutes at medium heat on your stove. Make sure to stir the vegetables every 5 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, shred the ginger and add it to the veggies. Let it simmer at low heat for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon and add the juice at the time of serving.
This easily serves three-four people.
It goes well with any bread. An Indian bread like Nan or Paratha will be great. I go to a local Trader Joes, and get variety of breads. And this tastes good with pretty much any bread.
If you like rice, steam the white rice till it’s boiled. And enjoy the veggies with rice as well.
I normally go to a Vons or a Ralphs or a Trader Joes to get my veggies. Organic vegetables are good, I try to buy them, but I am not too picky about them. Maybe I should be. I definitely like the health benefits of organic veggies, but life at times is too fast to take care of it all.
Another thing, I want to mention is the Turmeric. This is south asian spice, and very easily available in many places. If you have an Indian store nearby, you might be able to get it from there as well.
This spice is an amazing anti-oxidant. In addition to giving nice color to the veggies, it packs a lot of punch to fight inflammation. It boosts immunity. When the life is on a fast lane, simple adjustments to food give a lot more mileage to my body.
Try this recipe and tell me what you think. And don’t hesitate to ask in case if you have any questions about the recipe, or you are not able to find any of the ingredients.
Check out the video version of this article on YouTube
Veggie Rainbow Recipe