How to Stay Positive in a Negative World
It can often be difficult to remain upbeat and positive in modern society. The media is full of depressing stories, and many people around you may be negative because of concerns over their careers, health, relationships or the world in general.
Remember that you are responsible for creating your own outlook on life; even if other people tend to be negative, you can be happy and positive.
Things You’ll Need
- A tape or CD player
- Scented candles or incense
- Music you enjoy
- Motivational tapes or CDs by your favorite motivational speaker
5 Steps to Stay Positive in a Negative World
1. Focus only on the aspects of society that make you feel positive.
If you feel down after reading the world affairs or politics section of the newspaper, focus on the comics or sports section. While it’s important to stay informed about world affairs, doing so shouldn’t come at the cost of making you feel negative.
2. Surround yourself with friends who have a positive outlook.
Avoid spending time with friends and colleagues who are full of doom and often share their fears with you. Someone else’s negativity shouldn’t wear off on you. Spend more time with people who are happy, easy-going and enjoy focusing on the positive things in life.
3. Be thankful for your situation and remember that others in the world face worse problems than you do.
Though it’s not always easy to remember that other people are worse off, doing so helps put things in perspective. For example, if you have a job that pays well but that you hate, remember that many people are out of work and long for even a moderate-paying job.
4. Set time aside for yourself each day to engage in an activity that is healthy and fun.
When you give to yourself, it will help your overall attitude and perspective. For example, try to take a walk, go to the gym or sign up for a yoga class.
5. Read a motivational book or listen to a motivational speaker when you feel as though you need extra encouragement to be positive.
Hearing another person’s outlook may change your thinking, give you perspective or just remind you of the importance of being positive.
- The way you start your day sets the tone for all of it, so be careful what you choose to listen to in the morning.
- Try tea instead of coffee, it leaves you less jittery and comes in a wide variety of wonderful flavors.
- Stay away from people who are always complaining and never seem to have anything good to say. They sap your energy.
You Might Also Like :: Steps for Grief