How to Save Space When Decorating a Baby Nursery
You can make a small nursery bright, functional and attractive by optimizing the space and incorporating a few creative storage solutions. You can even use a few tricks to make it look like a larger, welcoming space for your baby.
Stick to light paint colors when decorating the nursery — light green and blues are calming colors — and use a trim color that’s lighter than the walls to make the room look more spacious. Enhance the effect by letting in plenty of natural light and add mirrors to the decor to reflect the natural light throughout the room.
Things You’ll Need
- Slim wardrobe
- Multi-functional furniture
- Rolling storage bins
- Toy net
- Closet organization system
- Clothing rods
- Fabric or wicker baskets
- Hanging shoe organizer
- Changing pad
7 Steps to Save Space When Decorating a Baby Nursery
1. Utilize the nursery’s height instead of its width by opting for tall furniture, such as a slim wardrobe, and install an additional clothing rod beneath the first.
2. Use multi-functional furniture instead of several smaller items to use up less space and reduce the appearance of clutter that can occur from too many pieces of furniture.
Instead of a change table and chest of drawers, choose a changing station with built-in drawers underneath.
3. Install shelving in the room to make use of empty wall space.
If you’ve run out of closet space, you can use wall-mounted shelving to store additional items. Install the shelves far away from the crib to prevent accidents. Arrange the items neatly on the shelf or store items that might look cluttered in fabric bins first.
4. Use the space under the crib.
If you have limited storage and closet space, pick up a rolling storage bin to keep next season’s clothing, extra fitted sheets and toys.
5. Store plush toys up high.
If you couldn’t choose the perfect plush friend for your baby and ended up purchasing all of them, hang a net in one corner of the room and put all of the stuffed animals inside. Hang the net high enough that it doesn’t present a strangulation hazard when your baby is toddling around the room.
6. Organize a big or small closet with a space-saving organization system.
Instead of taking up room in the nursery with a dresser, maximize the closet space to hold as many of your baby’s things as possible. If you do use a dresser, secure it to the wall — even a toddler can tip over a dresser if he’s climbing on it or pulls out a drawer and stands on it.
You can install upper shelves above the closet rod to store infrequently used items. Install a wire or wood shelving system along one side of the closet and fill the shelves with fabric or wicker baskets to hold blankets, hair accessories and bath essentials. Add two closet rods instead of one so there is also plenty of space for your baby’s in-season clothing. Hang a shoe organizer on the back of the closet door to hold baby shoes.
7. Use a changing pad for diaper changes instead of a change table.
The table takes up a lot of room and isn’t necessary for baby care. You can lay out a changing pad on a variety of surfaces, such as the crib’s mattress, the middle of your bed or even the floor, and change baby just as easily.
Never leave the baby unattended on a bed or crib with the side down and never change the baby on a surface he could easily fall off of should he flip over while you reach for a diaper. To keep diapering supplies organized, pick up a fabric or wicker basket and fill it with diapers, wipes, ointment and the changing pad so you can bring your change station with you anywhere in the house.
Tips and Warnings
- For easy outfit changing, use a shoe organizer to store your baby’s clothing for the week. A pair of pants and a shirt will fit in each shoe slot, along with a pair of baby socks. Now you can grab the contents from one pouch to change baby in a hurry.
- If you’re going to create a pattern on the walls, stick to vertical stripes for the illusion of extra height or horizontal strikes to make the room look wider.
You Might Also Like :: How to Design a Nursery Online