How to Revitalize a Tired Brain
Whether you’re planning a wedding or preparing a presentation, your mind can feel like it’s running a mental marathon. Give your overworked brain a revitalizing break from racing thoughts and tiring to-do lists by following these simple steps.
Things You’ll Need
- Digital timer Yoga mat, beach towel or small blanket
7 Steps to Revitalize a Tired Brain
1. Find a quiet place.
Your bedroom, a flower garden or a private beach–wherever you can briefly escape the distractions of daily life.
2. Set your timer for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on how much time you have to fully focus on yourself.
3. Get comfortable.
Remove your shoes and sit cross-legged on your yoga mat, towel or blanket. Place your hands on your knees, relax your shoulders, then lift and straighten your spine as if someone were pulling on a string attached to the top of your head.
4. Close your eyes.
Shutting out visual distractions helps you focus inward.
5. Breathe deeply.
Using a yoga technique called Ujjayi Pranayama, slightly constrict your throat, and breathe slowly in through your nose so it makes an audible “whisper” sound. Imagine the breath filling your lungs from top to bottom–first by expanding the abdomen, then the middle rib cage and finally the upper chest.
When exhaling, push the breath slowly out with an audible “ha” sound in your throat. Pull in your abdomen slightly as you exhale to empty your lungs completely.
6. Focus on your breath.
Get into a relaxing rhythm of breathing slowly and deeply. Feel each wave of calming “oceanic” breath as it fills and empties your lungs. If noisy thoughts try to intrude, simply come back to your breath and continue until your timer goes off.
7. Practice daily.
After 10 to 15 minutes of breathing mindfully, your tired brain will be refreshed, relaxed and revitalized. As you train your mind to focus on the breathing, this daily relaxation technique will become easier and more effective.
Tips and Warnings
- What to do if your brain is still tired:
- Hydrate : Drink at least eight glasses of water a day to increase mental alertness.
- Balance glucose : Eat a protein-based lunch to optimize mental performance throughout the day, and carbohydrates in the evening to enhance sleep.
- Boost brainpower : Get essential Omega-3 fats found in oily fish like salmon, as well as avocados, olive oil and walnuts.
- Oxygenate : Exercise daily to keep your body and brain energized.
- Chronic fatigue could be a symptom of depression or other mental and physical disorders. See a doctor if your mental tiredness does not improve.
You Might Also Like :: How to Manifest Your Goals