How to Get a Copy of Military DD 214 Papers
The Defense Document (DD) 214 is a certificate of release or it can serve as a discharge from active duty. This certificate ensures that veterans are able to participate in the Veterans’ Association state and federal programs.
In addition, the DD 214 contains the veteran’s condition of discharge, job specialty, education, decorations, awards and creditable days of service. Veterans should ensure that the DD 214 is kept in a safe and secure location. This is the only official document accepted by the government and military to receive veterans’ entitlements.
Ways to Get a Copy of Military DD 214 Papers
DD 214 Processing For Veterans And Next Of Kin
1. Apply online through the National Personnel Records Center’s (NPRC) website if the applicant is a veteran or next of kin of a deceased veteran.
2. Click on the Military Personnel Records link.
3. Select the DD 214 drop box option or form selection.
4. Answer the questions provided by the system concerning the veteran.
5. Print and sign the signature verification form.
6. Send the signature verification form and supporting documents to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
DD 214 Processing For Other Applicants
1. Obtain SF 180 from the National Personnel Records Center’s website.
2. Write complete name of veteran, Social Security number, branch of service, dates of service, place of discharge, return address and reason for request in correspondence.
3. Send the SF 180 form to: National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.
- Place the DD 214 in a fire-proof safe.
- Make several copies of the DD 214 for further distribution.
- Do not give the original DD 214 to anyone.
You Might Also Like :: How to Reduce Stress Anxiety During Army Basic Training