How to Become a Natural Childbirth Instructor
Many couples aim for a natural childbirth, but feel their hospital-based childbirth classes don’t prepare them well. However, a natural childbirth instructor, whose goal is to prepare couples committed to natural childbirth, is becoming a popular choice.
If you enjoy teaching, learning about birth, are committed to natural childbirth and enjoy working with pregnant couples, becoming a natural childbirth instructor may be a good career for you.
5 Steps to Become a Natural Childbirth Instructor
1. Consider getting certified as an instructor with ICEA (International Childbirth Education Association) or Lamaze International.
While your goal is not prepping couples for epidural births, these programs teach applicants how to teach couples about the basics of childbirth. Most people who study childbirth know the importance of natural births.
2. Think about getting certified as an instructor with a program that emphasizes natural childbirth like Hypnobirthing, the Bradley Method, Birthing from Within or ALACE (Association of Labor Assistants and Childbirth Educators).
These programs will prepare you for teaching couples to prepare for natural childbirth. The majority of couples who go through these programs are committed to and will obtain a natural childbirth.
3. Learn everything you can about childbirth, including interventions such as epidurals, inductions and cesareans.
This way you will be able to answer your students’ questions about why they should try to avoid these and times when these interventions are necessary.
4. Listen to your students’ birth stories.
If the majority of your students don’t obtain a natural childbirth, you may be doing something wrong and may need to redo your curriculum.
5. Realize that the majority of people who take a hospital-based class are planning to get an epidural and won’t put in the work needed to obtain a natural childbirth.
If you plan on working as a hospital-based instructor, you will have to teach about interventions without a natural childbirth slant. Plan instead to offer private natural childbirth classes from your home or in community centers.
You Might Also Like :: How to Have an Amniotomy