How to Be a Calm Dad During Labor
Although your baby’s mother is the one who actually has to give birth to your child, as the father, you will also likely be very nervous when she goes into labor. The birth of a child is a life-changing experience.
You’re excited for the new baby to arrive, and you are also nervous, because you don’t know exactly what to expect in the delivery room. Whether this is your first child, or your tenth, there is a great deal of anxiety for a man when is he about to become a new father.
Ways to Be a Calm Dad During Labor
1. Attend childbirth classes with your baby’s mother.
You will watch videos with her, so you will know what to expect. The teacher of the class will explain what will happen in the delivery room.
2. Help your baby’s mother develop a birth plan.
This will help you to feel more involved in what’s going on. You will be more likely to stay calm, if you know what to expect at each step along the way.
3. Remember that the more you are able to remain calm, the more helpful you are being to your baby’s mother.
She needs you to stay calm in order to help her stay calm. You are her source of strength.
4. Prepare for your stay in the hospital in advance.
Make a list of things that your baby’s mother will need to bring with her, so that you can gather them quickly if necessary. It’s also a good idea for you to pack your own bag with a change of clothes, toiletries, and snacks, so that you can stay by her side without having to run home for these items.
5. Drive a practice run from your home, to the hospital, if you are unsure of the quickest way to get there.
This will help you to be more confident and calm when labor starts, because you won’t have to worry about getting lost.